Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Just a Castle on the Beach

On Saturday despite being really sore from dancing all night Jill, Mel and I woke up early to get on a bus and drive for two hours back across the border and go to Northern England.


We started our day by visiting Bamburgh Castle, which was absolutely gorgeous. This huge castle was located on the beach...granted it's a beach in England but it would not be a place I would say to no to living in.


We went on a tour of the castle and all the rooms and I was amazed by how pretty it was. This castle is actually owned by someone and they live there...so strange. The views were awesome and I liked every part of it except the dungeon, which was too graphic for my liking.


After the tour we went and explored on our own and found our way down to the ocean. I have never worn boots on the beach, so that was a first but the ocean was still the same, peaceful and perfect.


It definitely made me miss being home but the cold made me remember that I was still in England even if there was sand and the ocean breeze.


We got back on the bus just as the sun came out to drive another hour or so to the border of England and Scotland. This is where we toured the Melrose Abbey.


Melrose Abbey was so historic and massive and beautiful. It is the ruins of a church that once stood there. The walls are still up throughout the abbey and plaques describe what once stood there.


The coolest part of this tour was going up the scary staircase in order to reach the top of the tower. The view was spectacular and worth climbing all the stairs in the narrow staircase. Despite its beauty it was freezing so after I saw everything I headed back to the bus.


That night we went out to eat and then just relaxed the rest of the time and hung out and finally let our bodies rest.


Beach Bum,
Johnni Z

No comments:

Post a Comment