Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Sacred Baths

The city of Bath was an interesting experience to say the least. After leaving Stonehenge we drove about 45 minutes to Bath to see the Roman Baths. On our trip there I saw a lot of the beautiful English countryside. We were told stories of the rise of Bath and tales of the healing waters in which the city was built around.


Once we arrived, we went into the Baths and were allowed to explore at our own speed. My favorite part would have to be the Sacred Bath, which both Rebecca and I touched! Haha. This bath is the coolest one because it is the hot bath and has steam that flows from it out into the cold weather. It is supposed to have healing powers.



Another part that I liked was the pond-like area that you could make a wish at. Lucky for me I made it into  the water...now we just have to wait and see if my wish is going to come true!



After going through the Baths, we went out into the city to explore on our own. I went to lunch in an Italian restaurant that had a really good view of the city. Then, I went to the church, St. Michael's Without. I know a really strange name...that fit the church itself perfectly. It was not only a church, but it was also a cafe. A little unorthodox but beautiful in its own way. I signed the book of prayers and then headed out.



On my way back to the bus, I stopped in a couple of shops and got a postcard or two to send back home. Then, I went into the Bath Abbey, which was gorgeous. It had an old British flag as well an American flag that only had 48 stars on it hanging in the church. The stain glass windows were really pretty as well.



The trip back was again lined with pretty, scenic routes of the countryside. Overall, it was a really cool trip that I do not think I would have discovered on my own.



Waiting for my wish to come true,
Johnni Z

1 comment:

  1. Johnni Girl
    I am just getting caught up on all of your 'amazing' sightseeing trips!
    WOW!!! is all I can say.... LOVE...LOVE...LOVE... the pictures!!! I feel like I am right there with you sweetie.

    I do miss you so very much, and love reading about your adventures. Keep them coming.

    You look so happy... England is agreeing with you. How lucky for them to have our sweet Johnni.

    Glad that you are getting some use out of your umbrella as well.

    Hugs and TONS of KISSES
    Auntie

    ReplyDelete