Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Amazed by Amsterdam

Sorry for the delayed post...but I have been a bit busy. After a week full of homework I left for Amsterdam on Thursday and took a break!


I went to Amsterdam to see Dori and Skye, which was absolutely amazing and much needed. When I arrived in Amsterdam, I met Dori at the train station and was already in love with the city. The train from the airport to the station was so pretty and there was sun.

On Thursday night we met up with Skye and went to dinner at the Burger Bar (for some reason American food was all we ate that weekend). After that we walked around a little and went to get ready. Later that night I met all of their friends at Skye's place, which was really cool and I liked all the people that I met.

Before the night was over, we went to a bar where a group of guys tried to convince Dori to eat a "toastie" or a grilled cheese that looked like bread crumbs that they had found on the floor. Since it was a long day and we had a lot of things planned for the next day, Dori and I headed home and of coarse talked a lot and stayed up later than was actually necessary.

Friday was jam-packed and full of things that we somehow finished at a reasonable time. Our day began with waffles, crepes and smoothies, much better than the smoothies in London. We walked around so I could see more of the city and shopped around for a little bit. In the center of the town we saw creepy people dressed up in scary monster masks...the only part of Amsterdam that I really did not like to be honest.

The first big thing on the agenda was to take a canal cruise since Amsterdam is full of so many canals and boats. It was a really unique way to look at the city and made me feel at home and wanting to go to the harbor in Dana Point. The sun was slowly coming out and it was nice to be in a warm boat and sitting for a change.


After the cruise we regrouped and headed out to conquer as many museums as possible. We went to the Anne Frank House and the Van Gogh museum. The Anne Frank House was shocking and eye-opening. Being able to actually see where she and her family hid from the Nazis and the secret bookcase as well as her small room and the markings of how tall all the children were was moving and very touching.

The Van Gogh museum on the other hand was really nice and pretty. We went during the wine night portion and chatted while having a glass of wine before looking at all the art. I also convinced Dori and Skye to take multiple pictures of me and with me at the "I AMsterdam" sign before the day was over.


We ended the second night in Amsterdam by meeting up with all of their friends and going out to dinner at Barney's and just relaxing after all of our walking earlier that day.

A Piece of Home,
Johnni Z

No comments:

Post a Comment