Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Let the Race Begin

On Saturday I took a break from my two term papers and spent the day waiting to watch a rowing competition.

At noon my flatmates and I headed towards Barnes to watch the traditional Oxford v. Cambridge boat race. We got supplies for a picnic and took the Circle line all the way to Hammersmith. Next we jumped on the 190 bus and stayed on it until we saw the river.


We arrived at the finish line of the race at about 2 p.m. and the race was supposed to start at 5 p.m. Of coarse it was really cold on Saturday, the one day I had planned on going outside. There were food trucks but not many people along the river when we first arrived.


It was pretty cold so we all went to a pub that was along the riverside to wait until the race started. There was a DJ, for radio Jackie there and a lot of people inside the pub. The pub was warm and really fun to hang out in. While waiting in the ridiculously long queue for the restroom the DJ handed out free things and I got a mug and a set of cards, very exciting.


By the time we were out of the line it was time for the race to start. We left the bar only to be stuck in a mass of people who had shown up while we were inside and taken over the side of the river.

I was barely able to see because of all of the people but I did manage to see someone rowing to the finish line. Oxford won the race and I honestly was not even able to see when Cambridge came in to see how close it actually was.


It was a really fun day and very cool to take part in an English tradition. Overall, I am glad that Oxford won, because I have actually been there and also because they said there color was dark blue and it was. Cambridge on the other hand claimed its color was light blue but all of the gear was clearly mint green...very odd.


Football is better than rowing,
Johnni Z

No comments:

Post a Comment